Pinellas County has seen a dramatic rise in local home prices in recent years. How do we ensure our current residents can continue to afford to live here, while allowing new arrivals the opportunity to live and work in Pinellas?
To tackle that question, Pinellas County and Forward Pinellas are bringing together community leaders and subject matter experts in a series of five webinars this fall, beginning Oct. 9, 2020. Join us for focused, productive conversations about how to create, improve and sustain homes that are affordable to our residents.
Next Session: The Development Opportunity, Oct., 23, 2020. Register today.
Register For Sessions
Oct. 9 – Session 1: The Importance of Housing to a Healthy Community
Oct. 9, 2020 11:30 a.m. – 1:00p.m.Watch Session 1
The first of the five-session Summit will focus on the importance of housing to our community’s health and economic success.
The Keynote speaker, Dr. Tiffany Manuel, is the President and CEO of TheCaseMade, an organization dedicated to helping leaders powerfully and intentionally make a case for systems change. Manuel will discuss building better, stronger communities that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive by aligning their community stakeholders around the kind of deep systems changes that can improve the quality of life. Pinellas county staff and Forward Pinellas will also discuss today’s housing challenges and advantages in Pinellas County.
Oct. 23 – Session 2: The Development Opportunity
Oct. 23, 2020 11:30 a.m. – 1:00p.m.Watch Session 2
Panelists involved in developing and financing homes will discuss the unique development challenges they must address to successfully build housing that meets the needs of residents with low to middle incomes.
Nov. 6 – Session 3: Local Government Innovation
Nov. 6, 2020 11:30 a.m. – 1:00p.m.Register On Zoom
Panelists will discuss best practices, including affordable housing policy, regulatory relief and other incentives to help create homes that people can afford.
- Catherine Hartley, AICP, CNU, Director of Community Planning at Tindale Oliver
- Rick Perez, Planning Manager, City of Largo
- Geri Lopez, CEcD, Director of Redevelopment and Economic Opportunity at Manatee County Government
Nov. 20 – Session 4: Corridor Planning Strategy
Nov. 20, 2020 11:30 a.m. – 1:00p.m.Register On Zoom
Local transportation and planning experts will discuss the importance of coordinating housing with transportation, safe streets, jobs, workforce development, and the coordination strategies underway in Pinellas County.
Dec. 11 – Session 5: Elements of the Countywide Housing Strategy
Dec. 11, 2020 11:30 a.m. – 1:00p.m.Register On Zoom
Local government representatives will discuss the development and joint implementation of a community housing compact focused on local government collaboration.
- Current state of countywide housing supply and demand
- Assessing the challenges and opportunities for providing affordable homes.
- Best practices and innovative financing solutions used by developers and local governments from around the state and country.
- Coordinated planning for homes, employment and transportation.
- Local government coordination to improve the affordability and diversity of housing options.
- Opportunities to partner and collaborate.
Who Should Attend?
- Elected officials, policymakers and municipal staff
- Members of the business and nonprofit communities
- Other community leaders and members of the public who want to help develop a strategy to increase and diversify housing options.